Our volunteers carry out over 3,000 hours of voluntary work each year. We provide our volunteers with training, assist other 'Bloom' groups through visits and talks, and have organised training days for Beautiful Scotland. Our volunteers wear distinctive green hi-vis 'North Berwick in Bloom' tabards. Many local shops and businesses support us by keeping a 'North Berwick in Bloom' collecting can by the till. Our fundraising quiz sheets are produced by a local newsagent and are popular with visitors and locals alike.
If you see us in town please say hello! It's always a pleasure to hear
passers-by offer encouragement or praise and makes it all worthwhile.
We are active right across North Berwick, for example:
2. RSPB teams and community groups such as cadets and Brownies join NBIB volunteers on litter picks on the beaches and islands.
3. Our volunteers join up with those of the Seabird Centre to provide activities for children and ideas for Friday afternoon club.
4. NBIB maintains the garden in North Berwick Day Centre providing a safe environment for frail elderly people and those with dementia to enjoy caring for flowers and vegetables. We help clients to plant out the beds with annuals in the raised planters of the enclosed garden.
6. NBIB was one of the partners of the Fringe by the Sea festival in 2019, offering a guided horticultural walk as part of the programme and 'dressing' the festival village near the harbour by the provision of colourful planters, tubs and a floral bicycle. NBIB helped to ensure that waste from the festival village was recycled and there was no plastic cutlery or straws.
The model lighthouse at Quality Street has raised hundreds of pounds since it was installed. Children from Law Primary School help to look after it and change the displays for the different seasons.
5. We hold coffee mornings and afternoon teas, where volunteers serve refreshments and man stalls. Twice a year we hold plant sales and exchanges. Tulip bulbs from the Tulip Festival are offered at an ‘open morning‘ where members of NBIB are in attendance to meet friends and supporters.